PHYSICAL THERAPY AND REHABILITATION
The focus of physiotherapy at the Mart-Life Detox Clinic is to restore, maintain, and maximize strength, function, and movement in an individual who suffers from the after effects of injury from debilitating illnesses such as stroke, trauma from accidents/falls, and degenerative illnesses that make free movement difficult or painful. Here, physiotherapy is used to help you get back on your feet and restore the full use of your muscles and bones without pain or distress, while your body is trained to be fit and healthy.
The physiotherapy unit at Mart-life Detox Clinic uses and maximizes three core types of physiotherapy, depending on individual needs:
1. Musculoskeletal physiotherapy
2. Neurological physiotherapy
3. Cardiothoracic physiotherapy
Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy is used to reduce muscular pains and improve muscle stamina in conditions like:
▪ Low back pain,
▪ Sprains and strain from falls or carrying heavy objects
▪ Posture-related problems
▪ Sport injuries
It is also useful for rehabilitation following certain surgeries e.g lymphodectomy, mastectomy
Neurological Physiotherapy is useful for patients who have suffered nerve injury from an illness and now find it difficult to move parts of the body normally. In some cases, the patient is unable to move or fully utilize a whole segment or region of the body. Conditions that can cause this include:
▪ Multiple sclerosis
▪ Facial paralysis (which can occur after infection, stroke or trauma)
Neurological physiotherapy is very helpful in these cases to ultimately restore the individual to optimal state of health. It must be noted that the earlier one initiates physiotherapy in these cases, the better the outcome. There is no time to lose.
Cardiothoracic Physiotherapy is very helpful for restoring normalcy in patients who suffer from long-term or chronic conditions involving the lungs and the heart, and for patients who have had prolonged hospital stay from illnesses which made them sedentary for a long time. These conditions may include:
▪ Chronic bronchitis
▪ Other cardio-respiratory disorders
THE GOAL OF PHYSICAL THERAPY AT MART-LIFE DETOX CLINIC
The physiotherapy team at Mart-Life Detox Clinic works with both the patient and the family to meet each patient’s unique needs and create meaningful goals for recovery. Our physiotherapists bring to bear both postgraduate and international training to create a curriculum consisting of patient education, specific physical exercise and hands-on treatments, as well as the latest therapeutic techniques to help each patient get back on their feet and on to their normal lives
The team is not just interested in getting you well now, but in educating you on how to maintain the newly acquired fitness of your body and of your mind so that you can live life to the fullest!
PHYSIOTHERAPY EQUIPMENT & TECHNIQUES AT MART-LIFE DETOX CLINIC
1. Physiotherapy exercise programs
Exercise programmes are often designed by the physiotherapist only after taking into account the state of health of the patient or client. The programmes are aimed at strengthening muscles and improving mobility. Successful exercise programmes require active participation of the patient, and often involve joint mobilization/manipulation, soft tissue massages and exercises that can be easily taught.
2. Soft tissue massage and mobilization
There are various types of massages employed during the course of treatment at the physiotherapy unit, each tailored to the need of individual patients. They may include:
• Swedish/ relaxing massage: basically done to relax the muscles and improve muscle tone.
• Deep tissue massage: this is targeted at deep, tense tissues, tight muscles and ligaments.
• Lymphatic massage: stimulates both the lymphatics and blood vessels of the largest organ of the body (skin) and enhances their function as detoxifying organs.
3. Aqua Stretch Physiotherapy
Use of water, and equipment inside water is an important tool of physical rehabilitation at Mart-life Detox Clinic. Water therapy is used to alleviate arthritic pain , muscle soreness and improve mobility and flexibility.
Is an advanced form of treatment that uses safe and therapeutic infra-red radiation to help the body release natural endorphins to soothe pains and aches in the body. This process leads to relaxation of the body by promoting circulation, and accelerating the body’s healing process.
This is the use of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) Ultrasound and Self Controlled Energo-Neuro Adaptive Regulator (SCENAR) to reduce pain and enhance the natural ability of the body to heal itself.
• Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS): This is a device which uses mild electrical impulses for pain management and stimulates the nerves for therapeutic purposes. Therapeutic electrical impulses reduce pain signals sent to the Central Nervous System, resulting in pain relief and muscle relaxation. This also helps to stimulate production of endorphins which are the body’s natural painkillers.
• Self Controlled Energo-Neuro Adaptive Regulator (SCENAR): This is a hand-held device used in the treatment of acute and chronic pain. The SCENAR device is highly effective in relieving musculoskeletal pain of the neck, back, knee, hip and shoulder pain. Once the device is switched on and set at a comfortable energy level for the patient, small electrical impulses are delivered to the affected area of the body, and are felt as a tingling sensation. This impulse is transmitted as a signal through the afferent nerve fibres of the body to the brain to shut down the pain gate. The brain simultaneously responds through efferent nerve fibres and relief is felt by the patient at the motor level.
6. Ultrasonic Xcell Scan
Ultrasounds are vibrations that the human ear cannot receive. US Xcell Pro is a device with high frequency vibrations which generates mechanical micromassages as a result of compressive and depressive motions. These vibrations penetrate into the tissues causing the following effects;
• Biochemical: increases cell membranes permeability by facilitating intercellular exchange and encouraging the circulation of the lymphatic system
• Thermal: when these vibrations penetrate into tissues, their energy is partly converted into heat and
• Sonophoresis: these waves facilitate the penetration of drugs applied on the area to be treated.
The device is used for musculoskeletal disorders such as osteoarthritis, low back pain, fibrous tissue and rehabilitation after sports trauma.